- Siting of the building on the block
- Should the structure be free-standing or attached
- Do you get winter sun and summer breezes
- Is there any indoor/outdoor connection
- Do you have your own private space
- Can you be connected if it needs to be or when it suits
- Do you have your own private access
- Is it a flexible space so as to meet different needs over time
Write a brief. That way your building designer understands exactly what you are trying to achieve. Include any practical ideas you have for the space, but also what the space needs to do and how you want it to feel.
The above are just some ways you can have a personal input into your granny flat or studio.